Monday, April 9, 2012

How hospital bedrest prepared me for staying home with Virginia


I was on hospital bedrest for 3 weeks before Virginia made her grand (albeit way too early) appearance and in hindsight it was a really good preparation for life at home with Virginia.

Bedrest taught me that showers are a privilege and should not last more than 2 minutes.

Bedrest taught me that lunch consists of anything that is remotely appetizing on the menu (or now in the fridge). Back then the lunch of choice was tomato soup and a pita with hummus, now it is whatever leftovers can be heated and eaten quickly or with one hand.

Bedrest taught me that daytime tv is really bad.

Bedrest taught me to sleep in adverse conditions and at strange times. Thankfully I am now getting much more sleep than I ever did in the hospital.

Bedrest taught me to stay very calm and that getting worked up or tense would only make things worse.

Bedrest taught me that not leaving the hospital room (or now the house) for days really isn't as bad as it sounds.

Bedrest taught me that being thankful, hopeful and happy was (is) the best way to make it through the day. How could I not be thankful, hopeful and happy?



On bedrest I used to look at this ultrasound picture all day hoping that we could make it another shift together, another day together, another week together.

Now I'm lucky enough to look at this beautiful face all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment